Canadian Tire Money is a program that rewards you for shopping at Canadian Tire stores and gas bars. Started in 1958, the program quickly became one of the most successful and popular loyalty programs in Canada.
More than $100 million in Canadian Tire Money rewards are distributed every year, driving Canadian Tire customers back into the store to buy whatever they choose. The rewards program has a 90 percent redemption and participation level overall.
Earning Canadian Tire Money
In 2000, Canadian Tire Money On the Card was introduced, enabling customers with Canadian Tire MasterCard credit cards to earn rewards everywhere they shop, anywhere in the world.
Canadian Tire Money paper coupons or On The Card electronic coupon awards are earned when you purchase eligible merchandise at Canadian Tire stores. The rewards are calculated on the pre-tax, pre-redemption purchase amount. Shoppers are given Canadian Tire Money back with every purchase at a rebate of 0.4%.
Canadian Tire has several reward credit cards, one being the Gas Advantage MasterCard that earns you free gas rewards with no annual fee. When you purchase gasoline using this MasterCard at any Canadian Tire Gas Bar, earn up to 10 cents off per litre.
Redeeming Canadian Tire Money
Canadian Tire Money comes in denominations of 5¢, 10¢, 25¢, 50¢, as well as $1 and $2. There is no expiry date. Canadian Tire Money can be used in any quantity, at any time, towards purchases of in-store merchandise or automotive service at the more than 473 Canadian Tire stores across the country. Rewards are not redeemable at Canadian Tire gas bars.
- There are no time limits, no thresholds, no minimum redemption values, no complicated rules, schedules or catalogues involved with redemption.
- Rewards may be used to pay for merchandise in Canadian Tire stores and online. Rewards cannot be used for payment on any Canadian Tire branded credit cards or financial products, insurance products, balance transfers and cash advances.
- Rewards can be applied to the total amount of eligible purchase including all applicable taxes.
- Canadian Tire Money coupons are redeemable by presenting the coupons with your purchase to the cashier, and On The Card awards are redeemable by presenting your eligible Canadian Tire branded credit card with your purchase to the cashier at the time of checkout. Canadian Tire Money coupons and On The Card awards are redeemable in combination with each other and/or in combination with any other form of tender.
- Rewards earned on purchases are not eligible for redemption on the same transaction.
Collecting Canadian Tire Money is a bit of a religion in Canada. Travelling Canadians have been known to pass off Canadian Tire Money as Canada’s legal tender when bartering internationally – a practice rumoured to have succeeded more than once! Canadians have also been known to use Canadian Tire Money to fundraise for charitable organizations.
Sadly, the program is not as lucrative as it once was. A return of 0.4% is just not appealling when there are so many better alternatives out there. Canadian Tire looks to replace the paper coupons with an electronic, card-based solution. Hopefully that will allow them to create a more targeted loyalty program and they can deliver more value with their rewards.
Do you collect Canadian Tire Money?