Petro Points is a reward program offered by Petro-Canada. Members can earn 10 Petro Points for every dollar spent which can be redeemed for auto rewards such as free gas and car washes. Affiliate credit cards also earn a discount on gasoline purchases such as the CIBC Petro Points MasterCard which saves you 2 cents per litre.
Petro Points Reward Program
For every dollar you spend at participating Petro-Canada stations on eligible convenience store, car wash, car repair and gasoline purchases, you’ll collect Petro Points. Simply swipe your Petro Points Card with every purchase to collect points that you can redeem for fuel savings and other great rewards.
There’s no cost to join the Petro Points reward program. There are 3 easy waysto join:
- Instantly at participating Petro-Canada gas stations
- By phone
Receive 2,500 bonus Petro-Points just for signing up.
How To Collect Petro Points
- Collect 20 points per dollar on eligible convenience store and car wash purchases. You can collect double, triple, five times or more bonus Petro-Points on select items with special offers in-store.
- Collect 10 points per litre on Super Clean or Super Clean 94 Fuel, and 7 points per litre on Plus Clean Fuel and 5 points per litre on Regular Clean Fuel and diesel.
- Collect 10 Petro Points for every dollar spent on purchases made outside Petro-Canada using your affiliated credit card. Plus earn 50% more points on eligible purchases at Petro-Canada, grocery stores and drug stores.
- Collect both Sears Club Points and Petro Points on every purchase you make when you pay with your Sears Card at Petro-Canada and swipe your Petro Points Card.
- Collect 20% more points when you register your Ontario CAA membership number to your Petro Points account.
- Collect 10 Petro Points for every $1 you spend on travel (excluding taxes) with itravel2000.com.
- Collect 10 Petro Points for every $1 you spend (excluding taxes and shipping) at The Points Shop.
- Get 2,500 bonus points when you provide a valid email address upon enrolment.
Redeeming Petro Points
You can redeem and exchange Petro Points with sponsor partners to get rewards even faster.
- itravel2000.com: Redeem 10,000 Petro Points and receive $10 off your vacation.
- The Points Shop: Redeem Petro Points (1,000 points for $1) towards all or part of your purchases.
- Sears: exchange your Petro Points with Sears Club Points and redeem for rewards at Sears.
- CAA: exchange your Petro Points for CAA Dollars (Ontario only).
- Cathay Pacific Asia Miles: exchange your Petro Points for Asia Miles.
Members can check their points balance online or every time they make an eligible purchase in store at Petro-Canada. The account balance will appear on your receipt.
To redeem Petro Points, browse the Rewards Guide. It’s available online and at participating stations. Redeem for the Fuel Savings Reward gift cards, travel and more.
Redeem your Petro Points instantly and get your rewards at participating Petro-Canada stations or redeem or exchange points online for partner rewards like travel or to reload your Fuel Savings Reward card.
How Much Are Petro Points Worth?
Petro Points are earned at the following levels:
- Convenience Store Items – 20 points per $1 spent
- Car Wash – 20 points per $1 spent
- Certigard Services – 20 points per $1 spent
- Super Clean Fuel – 10 points per litre
- Plus Clean Fuel – 7 points per litre
- Regular Clean Fuel – 5 points per litre
With the Fuel Savings Reward, members can redeem 15,000 Petro Points and receive $0.05/litre off their next 200 litres of purchased fuel. That works out to $10 in rewards. If you only filled up with Regular Clean Fuel and purchased 50 litres of fuel with every fill-up at an average price of $1.10/litre it would take you 60 fill-up’s and $3,300 to earn 15,000 Petro Points.
While I do believe in shopping at a preferred location to take advantage of reward programs, the Petro Points Reward Program is not the best value for your money spent. Members are only earning a minimum rebate of 0.3% by using their Petro Points card. Compare that with the Esso Extra Points program, where members earn 0.6% and you can see that Petro Points falls short when it comes to rewards.
If you’re looking for the best deal on gas, skip this reward program and just look for the gas station with the lowest price. Even if you used an affiliated Petro Points credit card this program still lacks punch. Check out the best retail rewards credit cards to get more bang for your buck.